Eighteen students were trapped in a fire that broke out in Douala-Ndogbong. The incident happened last Wednesday.
The explosion was caused by a bottle of gas. The incident occurred in Douala at a private hotel training centre in the Ndogbong neighbourhood. The fire broke out when the gas bottle supplying the school’s kitchen exploded while the students were preparing for a gastronomic event. Everyone was caught in the fire. The 12 women and 6 men were taken directly to Douala General Hospital.
“The students were treated as soon as they crossed the threshold of the Douala General Hospital emergency centre. Of the 18 students admitted, there were 9 cases of minor burns that could be discharged after treatment, 4 cases of moderate burns that had to be hospitalised, and 5 cases of severe burns ranging from 25% to 60% over the entire body,” said the Douala General Hospital management, adding “there was one case of smoke inhalation, which is also a cause for serious concern.”Samuel Dieudonné Ivaha Diboua, Governor of the Littoral Region, paid a visit the victims at the Douala General Hospital.